Zucchini rice is a great side dish for any time of the day.
Serving for 4.
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (with skin)
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seed (rai)
- 4 red peppers whole
- 2 Bay leaves (tajpat)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Small piece of cinnamon stick about 1/2 inch (dal chini)
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Heat the oil and butter in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to oil; if the cumin cracks right away oil is ready.
- Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds to the oil. After seeds crack add red pepper and bay leaves. Add rice and stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add water, zucchini, salt and lemon juice. Stir and bring to boil.
- After rice comes to a boil turn the heat down to low and cover the pan. Cook rice for about fifteen minutes or until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated.
- Serve as is, with soup, yogurt, and pickle.
Melt some cheddar cheese over rice.
Replace zucchini with 1 1/2 cup finally chopped spinach.